In 2015 Norwegian Police were tipped off by the FBI after they had uncovered what they believed to be a pedophile ring operating across the country. Launching “Operation Dark Room” to investigate these claims, police infiltrated the secret underbelly of the internet known as the deep web.
It would take another year before they had enough evidence to bring these suspects to justice. Finally, at the end of November 2016, police announced that they had placed 51 men under arrest, making it the largest pedophile bust in Norway’s history.
According to reports, of the 51 people arrested in the sting operation, at least two had been elected officials, one had been a teacher, and many others were described as “highly educated” people, such as IT professionals, doctors, and lawyers. “We have the clear perception that like-minded individuals met with each other in the so-called dark net, where they could talk with one another and cultivate their interest in children in peace,” says head of Operation Dark Room, Hilde Reikrås.
In total, there were 150 terabytes of material collected as a result of the investigation. Contained within those 150 terabytes were live-streamed videos displaying the sexual abuse of infants and children of all ages, chat logs, photos, and movies. During a press conference Reikrås told reporters, “The material shows, among other things, the penetration of toddlers, children being tied up, children having sex with animals and children having sex with other children.” Police have also stated that it was not only one network of pedophiles, but several that were uncovered during this investigation.
The reports also state that some of the men had been sexually abusing their own children. Another man arrested in the operation had a pregnant girlfriend at the time and had conversations with other members of the network promising to sexually abuse the baby once he or she was born.
All of these men had been from various regions within Norway, with the exception of one individual who had been living abroad.
In the wake of the “#pizzagate” hysteria, some individuals have become concerned with the identity of this suspect living abroad and are curious why the story has not received more media coverage.
The New York Times ran a story on the investigation on November 20, 2016, but it was quickly pulled from their website. According to a piece written by Reno Berkeley for The Inquisitor, The Times wasn’t the only news outlet to pull the plug on the breaking news. ABC News and The Washington Post were also claimed to have pulled their stories from the AP. The only US news outlet to keep the story was Fox News, who, according to Berkeley, wrote a scant four paragraph article on the pedophile bust.
The dismissal of the shocking Norwegian scandal by several major news outlets has since thrown more gasoline on the fire for a sect of people who are already suspicious of mainstream media reporting. According to a rebuttal to the various theories that have emerged since Operation Dark Room, the AP claims that some stories only have a shelf life of 24-hours before they disappear from their website and that it was not a planned media blackout, as some have speculated.