In the quaint, picturesque New England town of Groton, Massachusetts, one can expect a serene life typical of a small town. In this suburb of just over 10,000 residents, not much happens outside of day-to-day life. No one expects there to be trouble when you live in an affluent, upper-middle-class community like Groton.

Until 22-year-old Orion Krause arrived.

On September 7, Krause, a talented jazz drummer, suddenly left his home in Rockport, Maine. Concerned about his well-being, his mother, Elizabeth, called Rockport police and reported him missing. She was later reassured by Krause after he called to tell her that he made a trip to Boston. A nearly three-and-a-half hour trip.

Later in the day, Krause called his mother again to pick him up from and give him a ride home. She promptly made the trip, picked up her son, and intended to head right back to Rockport. Instead, they decided to visit Krause’s grandparents, who lived in Groton.

A currently unidentified person, however, knew something was up with Krause. He had apparently called this person and “made statements that were concerning.”

This person made a call to police to warn them of potential danger, but it was too late.


At around 5:45pm, neighbor Walter Alcocer went to his back porch to find Krause naked and covered in mud and blood.

“I murdered four people,” Krause told Alcocer. He said he needed his sleeping pills.

Alcocer got Krause a glass of water, offered him a chair, and gave him bedsheets to cover himself. When asked where his clothes were, Krause told the neighbor that he “left them in the woods.”

Just a few minutes later, police arrived on the scene to take Krause away. When they reached Krause’s grandparents home they found what he had done.


The bodies of Krause’s mother, his grandparents, Frank and Elizabeth Lackey, were all found inside. The body of the grandparents’ caretaker, Bertha Mae Parker, was found outside the house. They had all died of blunt force trauma. A baseball bat covered in blood was recovered by investigators.

Krause was arraigned the following Monday. He showed little emotion during, while several Krause family members openly wept, including his twin brother.


A statement by his attorney, Edward Wayland, was released. In the statement, Wayland asks for privacy, expresses gratitude to the police and offered condolences to Parker’s family.

“Members of the Krause family want to express their deepest sympathies to the family of Bertha Mae Parker. They know too well the pain they are experiencing today.”

A vigil is going to be held on September 17 for the victims behind Groton Public Library, on Town Field. The investigation is ongoing.