Every year we are inundated by warnings circulated through social media websites about dangerous items appearing in children’s treat bags throughout the Halloween season. In the past, we’ve seen the viral warning that people may be passing out ecstasy tablets as treats, which is something that has never been confirmed to have happened. This year, however, we saw a new spin on that warning informing parents to check their children’s candy bags for medical marijuana gummy treats.
While at the time there were no confirmed cases of any child unintentionally receiving the medicated candies in their treat bags, with the big day now behind us, one report from Victoria, B.C. has confirmed that at least one child had unintentionally received the cannabis treats.
CTV News reports that a child received the medicated gummies along with a packet of peanuts and a protein bar while trick-or-treating in their neighborhood. Police went to the home the candies were suspected to have come from, located on the 100-block of Simcoe Street, and questioned the occupant about the incident. Police say that the person did not seem to be aware that they had mistakenly passed out the treats and did not have reason to believe that the person gave them to the child maliciously.
Though the Canadian case appeared to have been nothing more than a terrible mistake, here in the States there are other troubling reports rolling in about dangerous items appearing in children’s Halloween candy.
In one Groton, Connecticut neighborhood a parent reported that a toddler was cut after handling the candy they were given during trick-or-treat. The toddler did not require stitches, but their skin was glued back together and the candy was thoroughly inspected. While it is not exactly clear what was in the candy to have cut the toddler, police say that there appeared to be a thin piece of metal smaller than a razor blade attached to a fun-sized Snickers bar. Police are unsure where the candy came from but have warned residents in the areas of Benham Road, Hynes Avenue, Brandegee Avenue and Morse Avenue to carefully check over the candy their children received.
Another report from Keshena, Wisconsin claims one parent found a packet of methamphetamine in their child’s candy bag. Menominee Tribal Police tested the packet and confirmed that the substance was, in fact, crystal meth. It is not clear if police were able to track down the source of the drug.
In a second drug-related incident, WVNS reports that a Fayetteville County, West Virginia child receive a suspicious rubber glove inside their treat bag. Inside the rubber glove, a parent reports they found a suspicious powder that was later confirmed to be heroin. Police say they are currently investigating the incident.
A Beaverton, Oregon mother reported that her 13-year-old found a razor blade from a pencil sharpener melted into a fun-sized Twix bar she received while trick-or-treating. Police say they currently have no leads on the origin of the candy.
According to a Facebook post from a Minnesota woman, she found small needles pressed into a miniature Snickers bar that she had been snacking on. It is not clear whether the candy came directly from the factory that way or if the candy had been tampered with. Police are currently investigating after the post received over 3,000 shares on the social media platform.
With all of these cases, parents are reminded to thoroughly check through their children’s trick-or-treat candy and to report any suspicious findings immediately.