It’s one thing to talk about gun violence, it’s quite another to see it up close on live television. In this episode of Sword and Scale we take you back to one of the first examples of a life being lost on live television: the suicide of Budd Dwyer, an American politician who had been convicted of bribe receiving. However, before his sentence of 55 years’ imprisonment and a $300,000 fine could be imposed Dwyer chose to take his life with a blued Smith & Wesson Model 27 .357 Magnum revolver at a press conference he had himself called.
A few weeks ago we were once again exposed to a display of gun violence on live television, when disgruntled reporter Vester Lee Flanagan II who also went by the alias, Bryce Williams, shot and killed a young reporter and cameraman and injured a third innocent woman. The media has refused to show the footage of this killing, giving one reason or another for their censorship of newsworthy information. ABC News and the local Sheriff’s department have also refused to release the killer’s 23-page manifesto despite the Freedom of Information Act, citing some nonsense about glorifying the killer. They have, on the other hand, provided 24-hour news coverage about the event and named the killer repeatedly.
The father of the reporter that was killed, Andy Parker, has vowed to shame lawmakers into creating some meaningful legislation rather than kowtowing to the NRA’s lobbyists. In his words, “We’ve got to do something about crazy people getting guns.”
- The Final Speech of Budd Dwyer
- Budd Dwyer Suicide Video
- WDBJ promotional video
- WDBJ On-Air Shooting
- WDBJ7 Reporter Alison Parker, Photographer Adam Ward Killed on Live TV / Press Conference
- WDBJ7’s Alison Parker and Adam Ward had big plans, bright futures
- Who was Bryce Williams/Vester Flanagan?
- Former Coworker: Vester Lee Flanagan ‘Always Good-Natured, Always Joking’
- Video surfaces apparently showing TV gunman Vester Flanagan in car park road rage confrontation
- Station Manager Commenting on Murder
- History of Racial Allegations Sued TV Network, Called Me ‘Monkey’
- Vester Flanagan Reporting
- Stiff On Air Delivery
- Man who fired Virginia shooter speaks about Vester Flanagan
- Shooter’s Phone Camera Video
- Virginia On-Air Shooting: Survivor’s Harrowing Tale of Facing Down Gunman
- The License Plate Surveillance Technology That Caught the Virginia Shooter
- Release of the Manifesto
- Investigators opt not to release SML shooter’s ‘manifesto’
- Flanigan’s various grievances
- Sympathized with the 9/11 Attacks?
- Vester Flanagan’s Apartment
- Was VA News Shooting Staged To Distract From Hillary’s Crimes?
- President Barrack Obama Commenting on Shooting
- Father Andy Parker Interviewed
- Boyfriend Interview, Station Manager, and Govenor and deputy after killer was shot
- Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn Took Down the Virginia TV Shooter’s Profiles. They Shouldn’t Have