The anonymous image sharing board 4chan has long held the reputation as a place where anything goes on the internet. Information flows quickly and everything from cat memes, gore, and pornography is shared. It is not uncommon, due to the anonymous nature of the service, for members to sometimes make shocking confessions. Hackers shared and bragged about stealing celebrity photos, on another occasion a user confessed to tampering with food and shared a photo of himself standing in a bin of lettuce at a Burger King restaurant, but none have been as shocking as what was posted in the afternoon of November 4, 2014.

David Kalac, the man that posted photos of his murdered girlfriend on the popular message board 4chan.

David Kalac, the man that posted photos of his murdered girlfriend on the popular message board 4chan.

At 2:54 PM, an anonymous user posted the first of several photos [NSFW] depicting a nude woman with lacerations around her neck and a pale blue complexion. His comment read,

“Turns out its way harder to strangle someone to death than it looks on the movies.”

At 2:58 PM a second photo was released, this time the user stated, “She fought so damn hard.” Between the operator’s posts, other users made some off-color comments, presumably since it isn’t uncommon for hoaxes to circulate within the online community. The final post at 3:06 PM, accompanied by an additional photo read,

“Check the news for port orchard Washington in a few hours. Her son will be home from school soon. He’ll find her, then call the cops. I just wanted to share the pics before they find me. I bought a bb gun that looks realistic enough. When they come, I’ll pull it and it will be suicide by cop. I understand the doubts. Just check the fucking news. I have to lose my phone now.”

Shortly after the initial posts were made on the image board, the victim’s teenage son returned home from school. He immediately notified his father of his terrible discovery, who then reported the incident to the police. Upon arriving on the scene, police found the victim laying next to her license with the word “Dead” scrolled across it. A picture on the wall had the words “She killed me first” on it, and “Bad News” was written on the blinds. The victim was identified as Amber Coplin and her killer is believed to have been her live-in boyfriend David Kalac, whom Amber had been heard arguing loudly with the night before.

No one knew the whereabouts of Kalac, but it had been presumed that he had fled in Amber’s car. Later it would be discovered that Kalac was partying at a bar in Portland, Oregon. He introduced himself to the bar owner and shared drinks and laughs with the local patrons, unaware that David was on the run and wanted for murder.

A photo of Amber Coplin taken from her facebook page posing with one of her five boys.

A photo of Amber Coplin taken from her Facebook page posing with one of her five boys.

At around 1 AM November 5th, a car matching the description of Amber’s car was spotted by Portland police. The plates were found to be Amber’s and a driver fitting Kalac’s description was behind the wheel. Kalac lead police on a high speed chase, which was called off when Kalac began swerving recklessly into oncoming traffic. The car was recovered later that day, abandoned somewhere near Portland. Sometime between the police chase and the car being recovered, Kalac took to the 4chan boards again in order to explain his motive behind the brutal murder of Amber Coplic. He wrote,

“I found out she was fucking another guy. our relationship was rocky at best. For the past 3 years I’ve been putting food on the table and raising her bastard son and she repays me with this!!?? We were getting ready to “do it” when i came up behind her with a .26 gauge wire I use for vaping and killed her. Bitch gave me a black eye. Im at a hotel now. I wont say where.”

Later that day, a Wilsonville officer doing routine patrols witnessed Kalac emerge from the woods. He approached the patrolman and told him that he was wanted on murder charges and would like to surrender peacefully. Kalac was taken into custody. Near the area Kalac had surrendered a handwritten confession was found.

“I killed Amber Coplin. I strangled her with my hands, Then a shoelace I had. No reason other than I was drunk and she pissed me off. Running from the cops was so fun.”  – DK

Kalac is now being held in a Washington jail. He has pleaded not guilty to his pending first degree murder charges, in spite of his full confession to the crime, and his first trial has been set for August 3, 2015. Kalac has a history of domestic violence and prior felony convictions. At the time of the initial proceedings the prosecutor stated that he will not be seeking the death penalty, however, new charges against Kalac may force them to re-evaluate that decision.

The note that Kalac left near the area he surrendered to an officer doing routine patrols of a Wilsonville, OR park area.

The note that Kalac left near the area he surrendered to an officer doing routine patrols of a Wilsonville, OR park area.

While in jail, Kalac reportedly attempted to murder another inmate. Using a piece of cardboard to jam the lock of his cell door, Kalac went to the cell of Wayne Allen Carlson, pulled him off the top bunk of his bed, then slammed his head repeatedly into a sink while keeping him in a choke hold. Kalac claimed that he wasn’t trying to kill Carlson, he only wanted to rough him up a bit. Kalac’s charges of first-degree murder for the Carlson incident were eventually dropped and lowered to the lesser offense of fourth-degree assault.

The fate of David Kalac is still on hold until August, but it is doubtful that he will ever see the light of day again. This violent offender that tormented women, murdered his live-in girlfriend, left five boys without a mother and one to stumble upon the grisly scene, then bragged about it callously on an online image sharing site, will likely spend the rest of his days behind bars where he belongs.