When 59-year-old Wojciech Stempniewicz met with Detlev Guenzel at a Dresden bus station, Stempniewicz knew he would not be returning home. For years Stempniewicz had been entertaining fantasies of being slaughtered and eaten. Frequenting some of the same websites Armin Meiwes had used to connect with his victim, Bernd Brandes, Stempniewicz would finally find the man who would become his killer.


Detlev Guenzel had worked for the police as a handwriting specialist and he and another man ran a quaint bed and breakfast in the mountains outside Dresden. Often left alone with his troubled thoughts, Guenzel had also begun to frequent websites promoting themselves as connoisseurs of “exotic meats.”

It was in the Fall of 2013 that Guenzel and Stempniewicz would finally meet. The two had conducted numerous online chats and phone conversations describing how they both wished their encounter went down. Then they decided on a date; November 4, 2013.


Guenzel greeted Stempniewicz at the bus station and took him back to his bed and breakfast. Inside the cellar, which Guenzel referred to as his “S&M Dungeon,” Guenzel slashed Stempniewicz’s throat and collected the blood inside of an old paint pot. Guenzel started recording the encounter after Stempniewicz was dead. He filmed himself slicing up the man’s body with an electric saw and a knife.

During the video Guenzel can be heard muttering to himself, “I never thought I would sink so low.” He then took portions of Stempniewicz’s body and scattered them in his flower beds. Stempniewicz’s penis and one of his testicles were never recovered from the scene.

When Stempniewicz never returned home from his trip to Dresden, his fiance phoned the police. It was through emails and other chat logs stored on Stempniewicz’s computer that they were able to connect him to Guenzel. He was placed under arrest less than a month later.

Guenzel said that Stempniewicz had wanted to die and that he was no murderer. According to Guenzel, Stempniewicz hanged himself inside his cellar. Guenzel admitted to his partial responsibility in chopping up and disposing of the body, but maintained that Stempniewicz had killed himself.

Due to the state of decomposition, investigators could not determine a cause of death.

Guenzel was initially sentenced to serve eight-and-a-half years in jail. This ruling was later overturned by the courts.

A re-trial was granted after it was ruled that the suicide allegations had not been thoroughly examined. In December of 2016, Guenzel was sentenced again to serve eight-and-a-half years, plus an additional month was added to his sentence.